Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lonely Pine

Lonely Pine 30 x 30" oil

I seem to be in a phase of starting things and not finishing them. I've been working on this piece, plus a figurative one, a landscape and one of two crows on the beach. As soon as I got bogged down on one, I would go to another. I don't know if this is a good thing- I really like finishing paintings so it left me feeling kind of scattered. However, it did enable me to hang in with each piece and try different ways of working them.

This painting started as an acrylic and I tried to make it work. However I really wanted a seamless flowing background and oils are so much better for that. I started with a transparent glaze and worked the creamy passages into it, wet in wet. I am thinking of doing a series of tree portraits as I had a lot of fun doing this one.

1 comment:

  1. That might work out, do some small studies and see how it goes. A 30 x 30 is a daunting task. Have you tried oils. I started with watercolors and after about three years switched to oils and havent' looked back yet. Seems like your getting there.

    ~Randall

    ReplyDelete