Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Heron

"Blue Beauty" 30 x 24" acrylic

 I delivered this painting to my Fort Langley gallery the other day. I think it's one of my favorites that I have ever done. I love the abstract quality of the background.

I never planned to be a wildlife painter, but I have always enjoyed painting big birds. So far, crows, seagulls and chickens have been the most common kinds for me- I like to paint what we have locally. This is my second heron. Now I have a little vision of painting swans- love to paint white things. It might be too romantic, but if we ever get some decent weather I will go out with my camera in search of some good swan reference and see where that takes me.

It's the same with the landscapes- I seem to need to paint what is familiar. I know that many artists enjoy painting images from their travels around the world.  I've tried that and it never feels quite right to me. That could change, but for now, I find enough beauty and inspiration in what we have locally to keep me going for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment