Monday, January 30, 2012

New Ballerina


I think this one is finished now. Took me a few days to figure out the skin tones and I was working in oil, which I'm not too familiar with. I'm torn between oil and acrylic right now. Acrylic is so comfortable for me- I have my systems, my colour recipes that I lean on and I can do them pretty fast. However I love the classic buttery look of oils- I think it's the direction I want to go in my work. If I don't keep doing them, I will never get into any kind of comfort zone.
I am very happy with this painting. I just love the pose- when I saw the photo, I couldn't wait to paint it. I definitely want to paint more people. It's exciting to be doing something new.
"Before the Dance" 24 x 30" oil

6 comments:

  1. EVERYTHING you write about in this post is truth ... to me. I love your desire to leave the familiar. I wish you well on your journey with oils and figures. This painting shows how adept you already are with both. Can't wait to see what your painting looks like when you hit your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice. your supportive words mean a lot to me

      Delete
  2. Growth is very rewarding...Beautiful Janice...by switching things up it like stepping backwards...then moving forward and beyond the last level.
    Exciting and frustrating all at the same time : )

    ReplyDelete